Semrush offers a few ways to automate the time-consuming reporting process. You can share custom reports either through scheduled recurring emails or an individual client portal.
Report automation via scheduled emails
Let’s start with report automation through scheduled emails that can be set in two different ways.
The first way is to automate reporting right from the tools’ interface.
1. Hit the PDF button at the top right of your screen and the tool will populate the PDF export that you’re able to email, schedule, or customize further from the Semrush My Reports tool - a PDF builder that allows you to create custom reports from scratch.
2. Fill in recipients’ emails and set the day and frequency in which the recurring report will be sent automatically. Reports can be sent on any day of the week and set to a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule.
3. Click on “Export to PDF” to generate the report and finish the scheduling process.
In case you want to make a few adjustments to the content of the report, click on “Create Custom PDF Report''. With the Agency Growth Kit subscription, you can white-label and brand your reports. These features allow you to customize your reports and remove all mentions of Semrush. Read more about the customization features in this article.
The second way to automate reporting with scheduled emails is from the My Reports tool.
You can create a custom report from scratch with drag-and-drop widgets or use one of the available templates.
When your report is ready, automate it right from the PDF builder interface.
Hit the button “Generate PDF report” in the upper-right corner (1). Set the email addresses you want the reports to be sent to. You can also add a message here. In the “Schedule this report” section, set the day and frequency in which your report will be sent regularly (2). The last step will be to generate and send the report or save the settings if you want the report to be sent out later (3).
Report Automation via Client Portal
Finally, Semrush Client Portal available with the Agency Growth Kit allows you to create individual password-protected portals for your clients where they can access shared automated reports anytime and from any device.
The portals are hosted on a separarte domain and don’t have any mention of Semrush there. This is perfect for companies that are looking to provide quality data reports in a clean and professional manner.
All you need to do is pick the reports that you want to show in the portal, set the update interval, and send the portal link and password to your client. Let’s cover the set-up steps in detail.
- To add the first client, go to the Client Manager tool and fill in basic data about your client. Feel free to check out how to get started with the tool in the Client Manager manual.
- When the profile is ready, go to the Client portal tab and click the button to create a portal.
- You will pass to the settings menu where you will be able to attach a client’s pre-existing reports to the portal and set credentials. In case you don’t have any generated reports for this client yet, you can create a new one from the My Reports panel or directly from the interface of Semrush's tools, as explained earlier in this article.
In the Reports section, there’s a list of all generated reports you have in your account. Select the needed reports and click on “Create Client Portal''. Finally, copy the portal’s credentials and share them with your client.
- By default, the reports in the portal will update once a week. You can change the update interval from the My Reports panel. You can make your reports update on a certain day on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Open the report and click the generate report button in the top right corner.
To set or change the update day and frequency, use the drop-down menu in the “Schedule this report” section (2). In case you want to disable scheduled emails, uncheck the “Email this report” box (1). Don’t forget to save the changes (3). These settings will automatically apply to a client’s portal that the report is connected to.
Your clients can access their automated reports anytime and, if necessary, export them in PDF.
The client portal will save you time and help build transparent agency/client relationships.